Group Leader: Fran Sheldon
Enquiries To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Start Date: 06/09/2023
End Date: 17/09/2023
Node(s): Griffith University
Institution City/Country: Brisbane
Here, you can make it matter.
For almost 50 years, Griffith has been proudly doing things differently. Our people have challenged convention, adapting, and innovating to pioneer solutions ahead of our time. Here, you’ll find high-impact research, outstanding student experiences, and a genuine commitment to social justice, inclusivity, and sustainability.
Consistently ranking in the top 2 per cent of universities globally, our degrees are designed with industry in mind, the future in our sights, and social impact at heart.
With more than 55,000 students, our community spans five campuses across South East Queensland plus our Digital campus, complemented by a global alumni network of over 200,000 graduates. As we prepare for our 50th anniversary in 2025, we’re looking for people that share our passion and values to help us create a brighter future for all.
Griffith Sciences is expanding, and we are calling the brightest minds to join an innovator within the higher education sector, pioneering teaching in environmental science. The School of Environment and Science maintains an illustrious research position across numerous industry sectors, guiding and informing its learning and teaching.
Our school is committed to contributing to the planet’s sustainable future by identifying and measuring environmental problems and offering solution-driven approaches. Our research and teaching staff are acknowledged as world industry leaders, working across planning, environmental disciplines, and science, enabling us to develop and deliver comprehensive study programs. We partner with industry, government, and the community to drive innovation and achieve success.
We are creating multiple opportunities for Academics, with excellence in research and teaching, to join our teams in Marine Ecology, Ecology, Soil Science/Geomorphology, Environmental Modelling, Geochemistry and Quantum Information Technology.
Join us in shaping the future in Environment and Science as a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer and contribute to cutting-edge research and inspire the next generation. You will be teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses in quantum technologies and general undergraduate physics. Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Learning and Teaching Practice: Foster an outstanding student experience, encourage active participation and engagement in learning and teaching, and strive to continuously improve your teaching practice through professional development and critical reflection informed by various evaluation approaches.
- Research: Contribute to advancing knowledge through a balanced research portfolio of high-quality outputs that demonstrate impacts, including the ability to obtain research funding. Demonstrated capacity to successfully supervise research students, both undergraduate research and higher degree research.
- Service and Engagement: Develop meaningful and impactful partnerships with the broader community by actively engaging and collaborating with external stakeholders and enhance the School’s standing and reputation by promoting educational and research activities with external communities.
To succeed in this role, you will possess the following:
- A PhD in quantum physics and a research focus in quantum technologies.
- Proven knowledge, skills, and experience in successfully teaching in this discipline at the tertiary education level.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and publish quality research.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- A passion to contribute to the positive culture and aspirations of the School and University.
Exceptional applicants may be considered for appointment to Senior Lecturer based on evidence of attracting significant external research funding, nationally recognised research aligned with discipline benchmarks, and proven experience developing partnerships and collaborations with leading institutions and research end-users in their field.
Lecturer (Level B) candidates will be expected to teach across a breadth of courses within the School. In addition, candidates must demonstrate success in attracting external research funding, evidence of a competitive research track record consistent with discipline benchmarks, and experience in partnering and collaborating with leading institutions in their field.
Senior Lecturer (Level C) candidates will be expected to teach across a breadth of courses within the School. In addition, candidates must demonstrate success in attracting significant external research funding, evidence of a competitive research track record and national recognition consistent with discipline benchmarks, and proven experience in developing partnerships and collaborations with leading institutions and research end-users in their field.
It is expected that the successful applicants would have research that aligned with the Centre for Quantum Dynamics.
In addition to the above, you will demonstrate:
- An understanding and capacity to support and deliver outcomes that further the University’s vision, mission and strategic objectives.
- An ability to develop productive working relationships and partnerships and contribute to a collegial team environment.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion with actions promoting an equitable, diverse, inclusive University.
Women and other minority and historically disadvantaged groups in physics are especially encouraged to apply.
What we can offer
This is a continuing, full-time position and can be primarily based at the Griffith University Nathan or Gold Coast campus. As Griffith is a multi-campus University you may be required to work across other campus locations.
The full time equivalent base salary will be Lecturer, Level B $105,144 – $124,862 per annum + 17% superannuation. The total FTE package will be in the range $123,019 – $146,089 per annum.
The full time equivalent base salary will be Senior Lecturer, Level C range $128,802 – $148,520 per annum + 17% superannuation. The total FTE package will be in the range $150,698 – $173,768 per annum.
At Griffith, you’ll thrive in a culture of support and inclusivity and be able to accelerate your academic career in a community focused on impact.
We believe excellence should have impact. It’s why we’re here. We strive for the highest possible standards in teaching and research, while ensuring we create positive effects for our communities.
Our people thrive in a culture of support and inclusivity, united by a shared purpose. We bring together exceptional thinkers from diverse disciplines to tackle the greatest challenges of our time.
Griffith was created to be a different kind of university. We’re proud of our past, but we understand that true progress comes from challenging the status quo. That’s why we’re excited for what we’re building next.
We invest in and value our people, and are proud to offer additional benefits including:
- Flexible working options and genuine work-life balance.
- Salary packaging options and corporate health discounts.
- Generous leave entitlements including paid parental leave.
Griffith University values diversity, inclusion and flexibility and we encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, and people of all backgrounds to apply. For more information please visit our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion page.
Griffith’s strategic goals are to also increase the proportion of women in senior academic and administrative roles and in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM).
How to Apply
Please submit your application online and ensure your application includes the following:
- A covering letter outlining your suitability for the role
- Current curriculum vitae/resume including full contact details
- Please include the details of three supporting referees
For further information please refer to the Position Description
Visa sponsorship is possible for this appointment for candidates who do not hold valid Australian work rights.
For further information about this role, please contact Professor Fran Sheldon, Head of School, School of Environment and Science on email@example.com
For application and recruitment advice, please contact Esra Vollenhoven, firstname.lastname@example.org and/or +61 (0) 468 580 299
For application support, please contact People Services on +61 (0) 7 3735 4011.
Closing date: Sunday, 17 September 2023 at 5:00pm AEST. All applications must be submitted online.